Did you know that there are 20,000 forklift-related injuries annually in the United States? And do you usually work in an area where forklift is running? If yes, then you must read this article, 10 Easy to Follow Forklift Safety Tips for Pedestrians, to be safe.
Before going to the tips, lets talk first about the forklift pedestrian accident statistics. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health reported that there are 100 deaths every year caused by forklift strikes. 36% of that victims are pedestrians.
In addition, there are 20,000 injuries every year caused by forklift in the United States. It equals to 10% of all industrial accidents.
This is a very serious problem, isn’t it?
You have to do serious actions to avoid forklift pedestrian accidents. In your case, they are workers.
I have listed several forklift safety tips for pedestrians that are practicable. You can find them in the next paragraph. But, before we dive in, at first I will give you some tips for creating better workplace with forklift operation inside.
Design Better Workplace for Forklift and Pedestrians Safety
Designing better workplace is the most effective way to prevent accident that relates with forklift operation. Thus, your next action will be much simpler.
In the first place, separation between forklift and pedestrian is the most crucial safety measure to prevent forklift pedestrian accidents. But, it is not the only thing you can do.
Here is the things that you should consider to design a safer workplace:
- Separate forklift and pedestrians with obvious physical barrier. You can install gate or rail. Even you can build concrete wall for this purpose.
- Create forklift only area. Prohibit workers to enter that area at all with no exception.
- Separate forklift operation hour and workers working hour. Make a clear schedule with enough safety consideration.
- Set up safe distance between forklifts and pedestrians. Do not rely on standard only. Probably it is not suitable for your workplace condition. Instead, consider your workplace uniqueness.
- Design work area with minimum intersections. More intersections, more potential forklift strike will be.
- Install more lights and signs at intersection.
- Increase alertness. You can use mirrors, horns and sensors.
- Limit forklift speed to a minimum. The lower the better.
Forklift Safety Tips for Pedestrians
After having better workplace design, it is now a lot of easier for you to manage pedestrians or workers in order to prevent them from getting injury or death from forklift operation.
Read the following forklift safety tips for pedestrians below to keep no accident:
- Never allow workers with hearing problem or eye problem to work in the area where forklift operates.
- Everyone shall wear bright clothing. If possible make your safety helmet brighter too.
- Never allow workers or pedestrians to talk each other inside forklift area.
- Unplug ear plug or ear muff when you walk through forklift area or intersection.
- Avoid to walk through intersection as possible as you can.
- Avoid intersection with lack of lights.
- Apply forklift pedestrian safety talk. Provide effective and clear safety talks with various texts.
- Use short and effective safety slogans. You can use available forklift safety slogans or create your own safety slogans.
- Carry out regular safety training for forklift driver and workers. You can also use forklift pedestrian safety video as an alternative to keep their awareness.
- Do not forget to learn from other forklift-related accident. Remember that an accident will always leave a clue to why that can happen. Learn from that safety lesson.
The last thing I want to stress here is don’t forget to check forklift condition just before you use it. Do it everyday.
Any trouble that happens to forklift will have high possibility to cause an incident.
There are two important things to create safe workplace where forklift exists. Design better workplace and encourage safer worker. Surely use the above forklift safety tips for pedestrians into your work related procedure and regulation.
If you have more tips regarding this, please share with us.