ISO tank container is preferred for carrying liquid chemical products because of its low cost, safety, reliability, operability, stacking capability, environmental friendly and simplicity.
Non-hazardous and hazardous chemicals can be delivered from production site to customer site by ISO tank container.
Some common hazardous chemicals that are used ISO tank container as the packaging are hydrogen peroxide, ammonia, ethyl alcohol, sulfuric acid, formic acid, hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide.
In particular, operating ISO tank container for hazardous chemical carriage needs more safety precautions than for non-hazardous chemicals. Other wise, fatal accident and property loss will happen.
So, it is very important to know the topic of ISO tank container safety operation.
Hazard Associated with ISO Tank Container Operation
Before diving into the safety tips, it is important for us to know clearly the potential hazards associated with ISO tank container.
Operating ISO tank container does not only mean for transporting liquid chemical from production site to customer site.
It also includes the following operation:
- loading and unloading
All the above operations – including for transporting chemical product – have many kind of potential hazards with different severity and possibility, which include:
- ISO tank container falling down during lifting
- hazardous chemical leakage and spills
- road accident
- implosion during unloading
- fire and or explosion
- toxic gas and vapor release
- radiation hazard
- oxygen deficiency
ISO Tank Container Operation Safety Tips
To stay safe while operating ISO tank container, you should follow the safety tips below:
- Use the tank only for compatible liquid chemical – Never use the ISO tank container for incompatible hazardous chemical. Otherwise, ISO tank shell damage will occur.
- Make it clean before loading – Some chemical products are sensitive to contamination to decompose such like hydrogen peroxide. If hydrogen peroxide decomposition occurs, oxygen gas and heat are continuously released. This will lead to over pressure and high temperature that might cause ISO tank container damage. So, make sure inside of ISO tank has been cleaned up before filling.
- Filling only to a permitted level – ISO tank container must be filled to a level permitted by the UN regulation (ullage percentage).
- Never use one ISO tank container for more than one hazardous chemical – Empty unclean tanks have been responsible for the majority of incidents. Chain chemical reaction may occur. It is strongly recommed to use dedicated ISO tank for a chemical product.
- Certified – Ensure that the ISO tank container you will use has been tested by certification body and proved by a certification letter.
- Carry out period test – A 5 years period test is required to ensure tank reliability and integrity.
- Tank has been washed completely before entering – Remaining hazardous chemical left inside the tank will be very harmful and dangerous. Do not enter a tank before being cleaned up.
- ISO tank container is a confined space – Confined space entry permit must be applied. Atmospheric measurement must be done and venting must be available.
- Only fully trained personnel can enter the tank – Untrained personnel must not be allowed to enter the tank. It is very dangerous.
- Safety devices are inspected regularly – Safety devices such as rupture disk or air discharge is regularly checked and replaced after its lifetime passed.
- Use appropriate lifting equipment for moving the tank – Never use forklift to lift up or move ISO tank container. Use appropriate lifting equipment with enough capacity, good condition and certified.
- Temperature indicator works well – A temperature indicator must be installed on the tank and make sure that it works well and clearly visible.
- Pay attention to discharge valve – Mainly one that is installed at the bottom type ISO tank container. Leaking valve is very dangerous.
- Never use damage ISO tank container – Even if your customer requests it for any reason.
- Use good truck for transporting the tank – Good ISO tank container will have no value if the truck is in bad condition suppose with bald tyres.