There is no doubt that hot work has a huge potential to cause fire accident in the workplace. The key to have a safe hot work is to make a perfect preparation prior to carry out the hot work.
If you are failed to prepare a safe hot work will lead to fire accident, personnel injury and facility damage even disaster.
Beside these potential hazards, there are other potential hazards that are associated with hot work such as hot metals, flying object, sharp object, compressed gas, oxygen deficiency, fumes, electric shock and respiratory damage.
So, what do we have to prepare prior to a hot work?
Follow pre-hot work safety precautions below to avoid those safety hazards.
Pre Hot Work Safety Precautions
- The best tips is to avoid hot work, if it is still possible option. Use mechanical bot or flange instead of welding.
- Only trained workers are allowed to involve in hot work.
- Assign only competent fire watch, safety supervisor and hot work operator.
- Move flammable and combustible materials from the hot work area.
- Move flammable and combustible materials at least 35 feet away from the hot work area.
- If flammable and combustible materials cannot be moved away from the hot work area, use fire-resistant cloth to cover the hot work area.
- Secure all the compressed gas cylinders.
- Use calibrated pressure gauge for the gas cylinders.
- Make sure that all equipment used in the hot work are in good condition.
- Inspect all the equipment prior to use.
- Install grounding properly.
- Make sure that there is no loose connection or bare cable.
- Move the hot work area if it is possible, to a safer place.
- If hot work will be done in an existing area where flammable material exists, ensure that all remaining flammable material is already washed away.
- If hot work will be done in a confined space, get confined space work permit. Study the hazards of confined space to provide appropriate hazard control. And prepare appropriate safety equipment for confined space.
- Carry out atmospheric test before the hot work by using the right gas detectors.
- LEL or lower explosion limit measurement is also necessary.
- Install safety line surrounding the hot work area to prevent unintended visitors
- First aid team is ready to give help.
- Communication devices are good conditions and ready to use.