ISO tank container is preferred for carrying liquid chemical products because of its low cost, safety, reliability, operability, stacking capability, environmental friendly and simplicity.
Category: Safety Tips
The usage of intermediate bulk container or IBC tank in chemical industry is getting popular. From flammable liquid to oxidizing agent like hydrogen peroxide is delivered to their end user by using intermediate bulk container.
There are three UN certified intermediate bulk container type available; all metal, all plastic and composite (usually plastic and tubular frame).
At least there are five reasons why intermediate bulk container is preferred than other type of packaging such as PE can (polyethylene can) or PE drum (polyethylene drum):
- maintenance free
- high usability
- higher carrying capacity
- better safety
There is no doubt that hot work has a huge potential to cause fire accident in the workplace. The key to have a safe hot work is to make a perfect preparation prior to carry out the hot work.
Fail to prepare a safe hot work will lead to fire accident, personnel injury and facility damage even disaster.
Beside these potential hazards, there are other potential hazards that are associated with hot work such as hot metals, flying object, sharp object, compressed gas, oxygen deficiency, fumes, electric shock and respiratory damage.
So, what do we have to prepare prior to a hot work?
Follow pre hot work safety precautions below to avoid those safety hazards.
Pre Hot Work Safety Precautions
- The best tips is to avoid hot work, if it is still possible option. Use mechanical bot or flange instead of welding.
- Only trained workers are allowed to involve in hot work.
- Assign only competent fire watch, safety supervisor and hot work operator.
- Move flammable and combustible materials from the hot work area.
- Move flammable and combustible materials at least 35 feet away from the hot work area.
- If flammable and combustible materials cannot be moved away from the hot work area, use fire-resistant cloth to cover the hot work area.
- Secure all the compressed gas cylinders.
- Use calibrated pressure gauge for the gas cylinders.
- Make sure that all equipment used in the hot work are in good condition.
- Inspect all the equipment prior to use.
- Install grounding properly.
- Make sure that there is no loose connection or bare cable.
- Move the hot work area if it is possible, to a safer place.
- If hot work will be done in an existing area where flammable material exists, ensure that all remaining flammable material is already washed away.
- If hot work will be done in a confined space, get confined space work permit.
- Carry out atmospheric test before the hot work.
- LEL or lower explosion limit measurement is also necessary.
- Install safety line surrounding the hot work area to prevent unintended visitors
- First aid team is ready to give help.
- Communication devices are good conditions and ready to use.
It is easier to have hot work safety form template to manage hot work in the workplace. You can download them here.
Building a mature culture at work needs serious effort from all members in the company. This is a long journey and needs patience. This big move starts from promoting safety at work.
Promoting safety is a serious effort. But, you can do it in various fun ways.
Choosing the right fun ways to promote safety at work will also take time. It is because you need to test and evaluate it until you reach a final conclusion about its effectiveness. Continue reading…
Fire accidents in industries are ones of the major business risks. They can cause a business to stop in just a matter of hours or days. No matter how big or small the industries, the impact is the same.
Many companies have to prepare a big amount of money to pay a fire insurance premium to reduce this fire risk.
Besides that, a lot of firefighting facilities needs to be prepared to prevent or protect the company from the risk.
And the good news is that you still have many chances to prevent fire accident from happening, even through a small step.
Major Causes of Fire Accident
According to NPFA, there are five major causes of fire accident. You have to focus your efforts on these five major causes to prevent fire from happening.
- Combustible dust
- Hot work
- Flammable liquid and gases
- Equipment and machinery
- Electrical hazards
But, this does not mean that you can ignore other causes even they are small. You have to take care for every potential fire risk that may turn into fire accident.
How to Prevent Fire Accidents
You should focus you effort on preventive actions. It means taking necessary steps before fire accident happens.
The following tips focus on how to prevent fire accidents in industry:
- Develop employee awareness. If every employee in the company has high level of awareness, your effort will be easier. So, make a program to improve employee’s awareness against fire accident including the usage of safety slogans.
- Avoid hot work at site. Prohibit hot work at the site is best way to prevent fire. Eliminate this necessity by handover it to outside location.
- Keep your workplace clean. Have a house keeping plan and stick with it. This work is simple but effective to prevent fire.
- Use explosion proof electrical equipment. All equipment installed in hazardous area shall be explosion proof type. This is very important in order not to generate spark.
- Have a good training program. This includes fire safety training. Be consistent with the program to keep employees skill and ability at high level.
- Keep one supervisor at site. State in the procedure that one supervisor shall stay at site when a job is in progress.
- Eliminate the usage of flammable material. If it is not possible, substitute the flammable material with less flammable.
- Store flammable and combustible materials properly. Provide proper packaging (leaking-proof), safe storage area and complete fire suppression system.
- Keep a minimum inventory of flammable and combustible materials as low as possible. Do not over your storage area with both kind of materials since it increases the fire hazard level.
- Eliminate ignition sources. This relates with hot work control, electrical hazard control and maintenance activity. Focus on those things
- Have a perfect maintenance program.
- Make sure the grounding system works well. Check the design and have a regular inspection on every grounding system ability. Replace immediately if you find damage grounding system.
- Avoid electrical overload. Sometimes, employees forget to control this hazard. Generally, it occurs when a large number of jobs are done at the same time such as in yearly plant maintenance where the usage of electrical-powered equipment rise significantly with limited power source.
- Get recommendation from fire safety specialist. Thanks to fire safety audit by your fire insurance company. They will dispatch fire safety specialist and expert to assess your plant. So, the audit finding will be highly valuable. Or you can hire fire specialist to inspect your plant if it is not enough.
- Perform fire safety patrol daily. Unsafe condition can be easily found through daily safety patrol. Engage all employees to do this activity every day.
- Avoid explosive atmosphere. Have you hear combustible dust explosion at Powderpart Inc in last 2013? This is a kind of hazard that is associated with explosive atmosphere. Housing keeping and clean up are keys to prevent such condition.
- Prohibit smoking at site. Some company still allow their employees to smoke in the plant site by fixing a limited smoking area with maximum protection and control. But, total prohibition might be the best solution to prevent fire hazard.
- Dispose waste properly. Be aware with ready to burn waste suppose used absorbent containing flammable liquid. Set up a proper way to dispose it safely.
- Keep fire hydrant and fire extinguisher in good condition and in place. When a small fire appears, put it out immediately with proper extinguishing media. So, always maintain fire hydrant and fire extinguisher in good condition and ready to use at any time.
In this post, I would like to bring you an important safety tips. Hydrostatic pressure test safety. This topic is very important because you -as an owner of a project- might not be focus on it. Your contractor will handle it for you.
Hydrostatic pressure test is a common non-destructive test methods used for testing piping and pressure vessel after its construction. This method is often preferable by owner because of product consideration. Continue reading…